Good Morning everyone!
A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to make a gluten free apple pie so I tried Bob’s red mill apple pie recipe and it came out wonderfully. I followed the recipe but did a few little additions, below I put into bold and italic of the extra things I did. http://blog.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free/amazing-gluten-free-apple-pie/
- 1 package Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix, prepared ( this pie crust blend is great you would never know it was gluten free)
- 4 lbs Granny Smith Apples (about 8 apples), peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh Lemon juice
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg( I added a tad more then called for)
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon( I added a tad more then called for)
- 1 egg White, or 1/8 cup Milk( I used the 1 egg white instead of the milk)
Prepare pie crusts according to basic instructions. Keep dough disc for top crust refrigerated. Roll out bottom crust and place in 9-inch pie pan. Place pan in refrigerator.Preheat oven to 425° F.
Cut apples into 1/4-inch slices and place in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and spices. Stir to coat.
Remove pie pan from refrigerator. Pour apple mixture into pie shell.
Remove dough for top crust from refrigerator. Roll out top crust and place over filling. Trim dough edges, leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Tuck overhanging dough beneath itself. Flute or crimp with a fork to seal. Cut three slits in top crust. Place pie in freezer for 10 minutes if dough is very soft and sticky. Brush top crust lightly with egg white or milk( I used egg white) and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar.( I made a cinnamon sugar topping for the pie)
Bake on center rack for 25 minutes at 425° F. Reduce temperature to 375° F, place a baking sheet on lower rack and bake for 30-35 minutes more, until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes one 9-inch pie.